I'm in the process of applying to grad schools to obtain a MFA in jewelry. I recently visited the Temple campus and saw their beautiful studio. While talking with some of the students they seem to be enthusiastic about CAD/CAM. I was wondering if anyone knew any university's that offer an MFA for jewelry with a CAD/CAM emphasis. Any suggestion would be a great help. Thanks!
-Sam

Views: 338

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tyler School of ART, Temple University in Philadelphia would be your only choice if you want the CAD/CAM emphasis.

Harriete
You might check out Massachusetts College of Art; Joe Wood is there and I know he does a lot of cad/cam work. (But I can't remember if they have a grad program....)
Good luck,
nisa blackmon
Check out Arthur Hash here on Crafthaus, he teaches at SUNY New Paltz!
I think all of these are excellent suggestions, though you might want to contact the school or professor and visit the school before you apply. While the suggested professors are all masters of their medium, I am not aware that the program is focused solely on CAD/CAM like Tyler.

Harriete
Hi Sam,

Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana has a Metalsmithing and Jewelry Design Program that offers the possibility of emphasis in CAD/CAM. Dr. Nicole Jacquard is the professor who teaches a course in using Rhino for designing 3D objects. She also teaches a Sculpture course that includes Rapid Prototyping with a 3D Printer using gypsum or ABS plastic. This class also includes the use of a computer operated router. We are hoping to purchase a laser cutter/engraver in the next year or two. Please check out the Indiana University website at www.iub.edu. You can see examples of Nicole's work, my work and the students work at IU. Randy Long, Head of Metalsmithing and Jewelry Design
Hi there,
Towson University in Baltimore have an emphasis in all things digital, and offer Illustrator, Rhino, web design classes among others. The CAD classes are tought by Kim Voigt, a Tyler graduate. There is also a laser cutter in the metals studio for use by grad students.
Good luck!
Katja
These are all wonderful replies thank you all so much!
Tyler and Temple have pretty great reps. Good Luck!!
Lynnie
For the past three years we have slowly introduced digital fabrication techniques and equipment to the metals department here at SUNY New Paltz. Its important to note that the metals students are not necessarily encouraged to go the digital route and we do not really offer an "emphasis" in any one particular technique. We do recognize that CAD/CAM is an important facet to a well rounded metals experience and therefore we offer courses that encourage critical thinking combined with a skills based education.

In a nut shell, we offer two digital courses per semester. There is an intro to digital course where students learn the basics and an advanced digital course that is more project based. After this you can register for a directed studies (independent study) with one of our two digital instructors. Students use directed studies to explore specific techniques, equipment and software that is not covered in the advanced class. After you have taken the basic course you have access to the digital lab during open hours. Normally, we have a graduate assistant or technician that will operate the machines for you and in some cases they help you trouble shoot your files. We have two 3D printers, a laser cutter, a large CNC router and a 3D scanner. If you have any questions please email me directly. Good luck. I wish I could go back to grad school. :)

RSS

Latest Activity

Aleksandra Vali posted a status
"2023 Fortezza da Basso, Florence, Italy"
Sep 19, 2023
Aleksandra Vali and Letitia Pintilie are now friends
Sep 19, 2023
Catherine Marche liked Rebecca Skeels's discussion streamlining our pages
Feb 3, 2021
Jonathan Leo Brown posted a status
"An art deco inspired ocean liner container with multiple containers."
Nov 9, 2020