Another technique I wanted to try out, before myself & Sara swap materials, was burning or "branding" using metal. I initially tried to brand the material using a safety pin but the result wasn't very effective as only a small proportion of the pin touched the handkerchief. I then decided to use small silver pearl-wire rings that I use a lot in my personal work and was delighted with the result. I like that there are different patterns depending on how hot the ring gets and that it leaves such a decorative pattern. I definitely want to push this further and see what other materials I can use and to what effect.

Views: 44

Replies to This Discussion

Sara Nevay says: I love the immediacy of this method of printing and the fact that it is permanent in it's haste. My experience of printing by way of burning or singeing fabrics has largely been with the use of computer programmes and laser cutters and so always a rather lengthy process. Saying that, there is nothing flippant or nonchalant about this branding technique - the placement of the brand, and like Nicola says, the moderation of temperature, are very important with the desired outcome in mind. I love how dark and smokey these brands are - a refreshing change for myself from the usual orange tones of rust!
This is a technique I love, too... I print all of the copper plates on which I enamel, and you're absolutely right that there is both a sense of immediate ease and a need for a controlled touch.  I've only tried this a little with fabric but hope you continue to push the possibilities!
Attachments:
Thanks for sharing your lovely images! I hope so too - I definitely think there's a lot of possibilities with branding.

Have you ever seen the prints made by John Cage - better known as a composer, but also a phenomenally talented printmaker and calligrapher - using a branding technique on the paper?  If you are REALLY interested a few of these prints are on show in the De La Warr Pavilion in Bexhill. I knew of these prints from a biography of him that I read some time ago, but it was great to be able to see them in a gallery.

I had a quick Google to try and find some images & found a coupe of the branding-on-paper works - they look amazing (though obviously it would be much better to view them in person!) - I think I'll definitely try some branding on paper - it had never actually occurred to me to try that out so thank you for the idea!

RSS

Latest Activity

Aleksandra Vali posted a status
"2023 Fortezza da Basso, Florence, Italy"
Sep 19, 2023
Aleksandra Vali and Letitia Pintilie are now friends
Sep 19, 2023
Catherine Marche liked Rebecca Skeels's discussion streamlining our pages
Feb 3, 2021
Jonathan Leo Brown posted a status
"An art deco inspired ocean liner container with multiple containers."
Nov 9, 2020