This is less about collaboration and more about the hazards & joys of opening artwork up to communal imput, by way of an extension to the question.

'The Yearning' was a large scale textile installation for Sculpture by the Sea, Sydney, Australia in November 2011. The proposal was for a 'migration' of  textile sea creatures to cluster on the rocks, cross the walkway, head up a watercourse & cliff area and make it up the side of a set of units above. About half a million people view the exhibition every year (with about 110 artists selected by jury) and for a long time I had wanted to make at least one of the artworks a communal one, which involved members of the public and helped 'demystify' sculpture as being an elite, inaccessible artform. I proposed to complete the bulk of the work myself but to include works from people responding to a call-out.

Via social media, word-of-mouth & leaflets in local shops I  invited people to make their own 'slug' sea creature. I worked out the acceptable parameters for inclusion :they had to be yellow with a pink mouth, and to follow the general form in order to fit into the herd. Modifications were ok. I set up a blog with instructions on how to download a pattern for both sewn textiles and knitted forms, which had step-by-step photographs & directions.

So, how did the experiment work out? From a fairly small scale call-out we ended up with about 40 slugs, which greatly added to the 100 I was able to complete.We had a very competent knitting group turn out a small army of beatiful baby slugs, families who made slugs with their children and then brought them down to see them, a slug all the way from Germany (made by a friend with his wife's underpants as the mouth parts..?!), one slug who had to be gently disengaged from a tutu on arrival (inappropriately dressed), and some slugs which were ..um...a little clumsily made. The latter pieces threw up some interesting questions : did they bring down the work as a whole? Were they interesting as a way to look at repetition, copying a central idea? Perhaps for me, perhaps in a different context, however in this context without many of the public knowing that the work had involved a communal element (most people didn't have catalogues, which credited the makers communally) these peices looked a little shabby in comparison to the rest. However I did include them, and the person who had made them (a 40 year old father) said the joy his 3 & 4 year-old children expressed upon finding them in the show after seeing them being made on the kitchen bench was incomparable. They lived nearby, and insisted on going down to visit 'our slugs' as often as possible. We also had a drinks night for the makers generally where they could meet & talk to exhibition attendees about making the works. The peice was widely featured in the media & won the 'Director's Choice' award. It was a joy to meet all the different people who became involved in the project.

So, in conclusion, what did I learn?. Well, I'd definitely do it again, but I might veer in either of two directions & with a clearer delineation...an open call where I was facilitating the process more & stepping back from the making, or a finite call to skilled makers where we worked on a piece together.  I also now have the beginnings of a database for some red-hot knitters, so who knows what big projects we might tackle!!....( see if you can spot the works by the knitters in the video..) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwO5dk-PBDU&feature=share

Tags: 'The, Australia, Sampson, Yearning', a, communal, crafthaus, project

Views: 33

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Fantastic outcome for your project, they look amazing. I love the slugs, and I can see an army of them slowly heading towards Tamarama and taking over the whole waterfront.

Thank you. Actually, they are taking over my backyard at the moment, waiting for a wash and de-stuff!!xx

RSS

Tales From the Tool Box - A Crafthaus Online Exhibition

Diana Greenwood
‘There is always one moment in childhood…’

Mantel Box 230 x 330 x 45 mm

Mantel Box in Cherry wood with a hinged glass door, containing a silver vessel marked ‘drink me’, marbles, sweets and found objects

A piece about childhood, forgotten toys, favorite stories and the loss of innocence as the future beckons, inspired by ‘Garden of Love’ by William Blake.

Image Credit: Diana Greenwood

www.diana-greenwood.com

View the new CRAFTHAUS online exhibition (October 24-November 24, 2014)

Tales from the Tool Box - Chapter 1

Curated by Mark Fenn - Studiofenn, UK

Latest Activity

Jennifer Merchant added a discussion to the group SNAG
Thumbnail

Last call to submit a piece for the Uniques sale!!

Last Call!Deadline November 1st  UNIQUES is an online auction of one-of-a-kind, limited edition, unusual, and handmade contemporary art jewelry and small metal items. SNAG's 3rd UNIQUES sale is December 1-15, 2014. UNIQUES helps SNAG members gain exposure and sell work while helping SNAG raise funds for programming. SNAG will be partnering with The International Society of Glass Beadmakers (ISGB) for this holiday sale. This time around we thought it would be fun to have everyone submit…See More
7 minutes ago
Ruth Packham posted photos
13 minutes ago
Brigitte Martin posted a status
"The crafthaus newsletter is out: http://j.mp/1wNQqky"
51 minutes ago
Sasha Newkirk posted photos
4 hours ago
Melissa Cameron posted blog posts
7 hours ago
Profile IconSibel Akay and Heather Perry joined crafthaus
yesterday
Brigitte Martin posted blog posts
yesterday
Brigitte Martin posted a video

Entfaltung collapsible fashion by Jule Waibel

See more architecture and design movies at http://www.dezeen.com/movies Royal College of Art graduate Jule Waibel has designed a series of folded paper clothes and accessories including a dress that adjusts and expands as you move and a…
Wednesday
Lindsey Snell posted photos
Tuesday
Stefanis Alexandres liked Vicky Saragouda's photo
Tuesday
Stefanis Alexandres liked Vicky Saragouda's photo
Tuesday
Brigitte Martin posted blog posts
Monday

A modern metalsmith/metal artist can be found working in traditional metals as well as in nontraditional materials. The designs can range from the classic to the extravagant, and the techniques can either be centuries old or decidedly current.

The wide range of expression preferences, design options, materials, and processes has lead within our field to unfavorable misconceptions, misunderstandings and in some cases even outright disdain between artists. Can the metal and jewelry field overcome its division and send out a much-needed signal?

We appreciate and respect our historical past and acknowledge that current materials have a rightful place in jewelry/object making!

DETAILS on exhibition premise, call for artists, submission guidelines.....

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2014   Created by Brigitte Martin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service