Community. Engagement. Advocacy. Humor.
Outline of project, purpose/goal:
This project is to create and complete rocket rings,
and at least one RedHerring ring by chasing/repousse and shaping
into organic, low relief pieces that, hopefully, will appeal to more than the Sardine Tin which has a way of consuming me.
The sale of these unique rings will support themselves and the purchase of enough equipment to enable me to continue this in my own studio.
Start date of project and duration:
September 2013 - Mid December 2013
The project will begin Mid September 2013...and be completed in December, during intense Wednesdays and Tuesdays, days and evenings, and whenever else I can steal time.
I was making this work...I planned to visit the manicure school to find out about nail adhesive, when Curtis H Arima spoke up. I want to get this...so I did some small pieces according to his suggestion.I lost the tiny rocket from one of the two rings I was experimenting with, so REcut replacements from NuGold and one from Nickle for the other following Curtis's instruction.…Continue
I am going try the "married metals" idea work for a couple of them.I couldn't make the SuperGlue work for me,nor the double face tape, although I"m told both are good for holding the different metals together through the sawing.I wound up using regular tape. I didn't use a thicker metal the first time,so I will try to chase the sterling in towards the nickel rocket.The next one was with 18g nickle, which was sawed following a zerox of the space I want it to fill.Had I held the saw properly, the nickle cut out probably would have fit perfectly, and using a zerox wouldn't be necessary.As it is, my custom filing has it looking very…Continue
This big rocket actually looks good on the big finger it's heading for.I let too much time go by since the last chased/repoussed ring I did,so I'm relearning, and probably making some horrible mistakes with this one,but I"ll pull it out. It will be fine, and the next one will not suffer so much.I don't know if there is an easy way to roll the edges on something like this.It seems to take time, and patience due to having to reposition it in the pitchwhich sort of backs out of it's job of fully supporting the metal...but I kept at it. I've shortened the ends to what I believe should be the proper size/length.The ends are filed and meet tightly enough that no light gets through.I expect a successful soldering on Wednesday.…Continue
It's been a while since I moved any metal due to that project.I tend to go to an opposite arting to unwind from an intensity,so, after all that drawing, I went to oil painting,which has been a real surprize for me,since it has always been a battle.Now,having access to the shop tools again,I am back to the Rockets.Funny, when I don't use tools for a whilethey feel invitingly strange,so the getting to know them and their process againis always fun, but awkward.I'm finding my way through the process once againsince I have not actively practiced enough to make it my own,so what you see here is not going to be prettybut I'll grit my teeth and show you anyway.Bear with me....this is part one.The Rocket got bigger than I anticipated.It IS for a larger finger...but it looks like I'm pretty correct with the…Continue
OK. The big planetary job I was busy with will become very public in April,and I'll be able to make some noise about it then.Seems like ages since I've posted. Ages again since I was able to do some metal work. Two of the rings I did complete near the end of the year wound up getting sold.I failed to get photos, but will grab the adorned fingerswhen next they come through town.In the mean time, here are four in various stages. (not too good looking…Continue