Please join in the discussion: What is your favorite material in a chair and why?  
Where have you seen a chair or a sofa that you really liked and why?
Do you prefer to sit on a chair, a soft couch with lots of pillows or a rocker?  
Do you find sitting in the garden on a favorite bench relaxing watching the birds splash in the birdbath?  
Where do you have your best ideas sitting down, or walking? 

Tags: 2, 988, Annels, Archchair, Arm, Barbaro, Barstool, Bastide, Berman, Bhartanatyam, More…Bianca, Brian, Cabled, Cain, Chair, Christopher, Claudie, Cosmo, Dancer, Echinoid, Ellie, Emily, Estel, Ferrell, Flower, Glen, Gnutheru, Grouping, Guarino, Harriete, Her, Hongtao, Identity, James, Jeanie, John, Kim, Linnea, Material, Minimal, Morrow, Mujaba, Neo, Paper, Part, Pat, Poehlmann, Pretty, Reading, Red, Richards, Rocker, Rods, Ross, Sabiha, Sapling, Sette, Side, Sitting, Skaggs, Sovereignty, Stool, Sunhwa, Thoe, Thomas, Thurman, Translation, Zhou, aluminum, artist, bench, brass, catalpa, concrete, exhibit, exhibition, fabric, furniture, glass, jewelry, kind, mache, northern, one-of-a, paint, polyester, precious, recycled, rescued, resin, show, silk, silver, steel, stone, tin, wood

Views: 1033

Replies to This Discussion

I like colorful velvet on a chair and this is one of my currently favorites chairs. Crazy colors and lots of upholstery going wrong... This particular chair is unique design by Valentina Glez Wohlers, a Mexican born London based designer. The chair juxtapose mexican and european aesthetics, showing formal design elements and quirks of both to create a cultural blend. The Nopal cactus symbolizes Mexican heritage and national pride.

My father is French, my mother is from Spain, so I grew up mixing cultures... Will try to post more chairs from my appartment and from my friends, they have some funny ones you may like.
OK, this topic is just too irresistible. Great post, Julie !! Can't wait for the other photos. Velvet IS a great material for a chair, no doubt. I like it a lot myself.

My material of choice is: "Unusual Materials", and if it has a recycling aspect to it - all the better -- and this is one of my all-time favorite chairs made from paper :

cabbage chair
Designer: NENDO

Nendo designed the cabbage chair for the XXIst Century Man exhibition curated by fashion designer Issey Miyake to commemorate the first anniversary of 21_21 Design Sight in Roppongi, Tokyo.

"Miyake asked us to make furniture out of the pleated paper that is produced in mass amounts during the process of making pleated fabric, and usually abandoned as an unwanted by-product. Our solution to his challenge transformed a roll of pleated paper into a small chair that appears naturally as you peel away its outside layers, one layer at a time.

Resins added during the original paper production process adds strength and the ability to remember forms, and the pleats themselves give the chair elasticity and a springy resilience, for an overall effect that looks almost rough, but gives the user a soft, comfortable seating experience.

Since the production process is so simple, we thought that eventually, the chair could be shipped as one compact roll for the user to cut open and peel back at home. The chair has no internal structure. It is not finished, and it is assembled without nails or screws. This primitive design responds gently to fabrication and distribution costs and environmental concerns, the kinds of issues that face our 21st century selves. Thus, the cabbage chair fits active, optimistic and forward-moving "21st century people", the kind of people who, to borrow a concept Miyake expressed during a meeting with us, "don't just wear clothes, but shed their skin".

Here are some good images: http://www.dezeen.com/2008/03/06/cabbage-chair-by-nendo/

RSS

A modern metalsmith/metal artist can be found working in traditional metals as well as in nontraditional materials. The designs can range from the classic to the extravagant, and the techniques can either be centuries old or decidedly current.

The wide range of expression preferences, design options, materials, and processes has lead within our field to unfavorable misconceptions, misunderstandings and in some cases even outright disdain between artists. Can the metal and jewelry field overcome its division and send out a much-needed signal?

We appreciate and respect our historical past and acknowledge that current materials have a rightful place in jewelry/object making!

Arriving at this message is the goal of this traveling exhibition opening at the SNAG conference in Boston 2015, Velvet da Vinci, San Francisco, CA - Aug 19 - Sept 20, 2015, Equinox Gallery, San Antonio, TX - Oct 16 - Nov 15, 2015, Baltimore Jewelry Center, Baltimore, MD - Dec 11, 2015 - Jan 08, 2016, Brooklyn Metal Works, Brooklyn, NY - Feb 5 - Mar 4, 2016.

DETAILS on exhibition premise, call for artists, submission guidelines.....

Rachel and Brigitte will be appearing on the wonderful Jay Whaley Metalsmith Benchtalk Radio Show, talking about the Co:Operation Garnish project, how they came up with the idea, what the project is about and the plans moving forward.

The radio show will be LIVE on air September 25, 2014 @ 6PM EST / 3 PM Pacific.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/whaleystudios

Listeners can call in during the show via phone, skype, or directly connect via the blog talk website.

Latest Activity

Jina Seo liked Jina Seo's photo
1 hour ago
Glen S. Gardner commented on Brigitte Martin's blog post Patrick Dougherty - Stickwork
"Hi Patrick,  Nice to see you here!  "
4 hours ago
Mo Schreffler joined Brigitte Martin's group
Thumbnail

Co:Operation GARNISH

Can the metal and jewelry field overcome its division and send out a much-needed signal?We appreciate and respect our historical past and acknowledge that current materials have a rightful place in jewelry/object making! Arriving at this message is the goal of this exhibition cooperatively arranged by Rachel Timmins and Brigitte Martin.Please join this group to stay informed !! This is the official exhibition blog.See More
7 hours ago
Brigitte Martin posted blog posts
8 hours ago
Brigitte Martin commented on Brigitte Martin's group Co:Operation GARNISH
"Rachel Timmins and I are very excited about our upcoming Jay Whaley Metalsmith Benchtalk radio interview on Sep 25 @ 6PM EST / 3 PM Pacific! We got busy working on our project this week and will be able to share some exciting news for CoOperation…"
9 hours ago
Mo Schreffler posted photos
10 hours ago
Chuck Domitrovich joined Lorena Angulo's group
Thumbnail

Behind the Brooch part 2

I am happy to share with all of you more images of wonderful brooches from artists around the word. I had so many submissions on my first call that I had to create a second part exhibition. This exhibition focuses on a side of the brooch we usually do not pay much attention to: the back side. Our first look is naturally always trained at the front, but when we do take the time to look at the back of a brooch, it will oftentimes reveal a surprising aspect for us, a delightful little secret. With…See More
yesterday
Harriete Estel Berman commented on Brigitte Martin's video
Thumbnail

Artisanal Pencil Sharpening

"Can't decide if he is serious or not. Here is how I sharpen pencils. In the 9:27 minutes of this video I can sharpen many pencils perfectly.   "
yesterday
Roxy Lentz commented on Brigitte Martin's video
Thumbnail

Artisanal Pencil Sharpening

"Boy am I glad I saw this. I learned, or thought I learned how to sharpen a pencil with a jack knife at my father's knee. But he neglected to tell me how lucrative it could be, and how exacting. If David Rees would have been my mentor, I would…"
yesterday
Peter Antor posted photos
yesterday
Brigitte Martin posted videos
yesterday
Emily Hickman liked Angela Gerhard's photo
Thursday
Emily Hickman posted photos
Thursday
2Roses liked Brigitte Martin's blog post Just Because You Can Doesn't Mean You Should
Thursday
The Society of Arts and Crafts posted an event
Thumbnail

CraftBoston Holiday at Hynes Convention Center

December 5, 2014 at 10am to December 7, 2014 at 5pm
Comprised of 175 exhibitors, CraftBoston Holiday is a highly regarded, must-attend event for artists, collectors, and craft enthusiasts. Presented at the Hynes Convention Center in Boston’s Back Bay neighborhood, CraftBoston Holiday is conveniently located in a fashionable, concentrated shopping district perfect for the holiday season. Come for the day to shop for unique, one-of-a-kind gifts, meet and support the makers, and learn about fine contemporary craft. Dates & Hours Fri. December…See More
Wednesday
Parker Brown posted a status
Wednesday
Parker Brown posted a status
Wednesday
Brigitte Martin posted a blog post

Just Because You Can Doesn't Mean You Should

BY ALLISON ARIEFF on medium core, Sep 15Last spring, I attended the Bloomberg BusinessWeek Design Conference in San Francisco. Ben Kaufman, the CEO of Quirky, was one of the speakers in a conference that unabashedly celebrated consumption (and only had…See More
Wednesday
Harriete Estel Berman posted a status
"Generosity of Eye: Art Transformed into Education Worth Watching this film http://j.mp/XfsdFg"
Wednesday
Emily Hickman left a comment for Sophia Georgiopoulou
"Thanks Sophia! I love your work too!"
Wednesday

© 2014   Created by Brigitte Martin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service