Please join in the discussion: What is your favorite material in a chair and why?  
Where have you seen a chair or a sofa that you really liked and why?
Do you prefer to sit on a chair, a soft couch with lots of pillows or a rocker?  
Do you find sitting in the garden on a favorite bench relaxing watching the birds splash in the birdbath?  
Where do you have your best ideas sitting down, or walking? 

Tags: 2, 988, Annels, Archchair, Arm, Barbaro, Barstool, Bastide, Berman, Bhartanatyam, More…Bianca, Brian, Cabled, Cain, Chair, Christopher, Claudie, Cosmo, Dancer, Echinoid, Ellie, Emily, Estel, Ferrell, Flower, Glen, Gnutheru, Grouping, Guarino, Harriete, Her, Hongtao, Identity, James, Jeanie, John, Kim, Linnea, Material, Minimal, Morrow, Mujaba, Neo, Paper, Part, Pat, Poehlmann, Pretty, Reading, Red, Richards, Rocker, Rods, Ross, Sabiha, Sapling, Sette, Side, Sitting, Skaggs, Sovereignty, Stool, Sunhwa, Thoe, Thomas, Thurman, Translation, Zhou, aluminum, artist, bench, brass, catalpa, concrete, exhibit, exhibition, fabric, furniture, glass, jewelry, kind, mache, northern, one-of-a, paint, polyester, precious, recycled, rescued, resin, show, silk, silver, steel, stone, tin, wood

Views: 985

Replies to This Discussion

I like colorful velvet on a chair and this is one of my currently favorites chairs. Crazy colors and lots of upholstery going wrong... This particular chair is unique design by Valentina Glez Wohlers, a Mexican born London based designer. The chair juxtapose mexican and european aesthetics, showing formal design elements and quirks of both to create a cultural blend. The Nopal cactus symbolizes Mexican heritage and national pride.

My father is French, my mother is from Spain, so I grew up mixing cultures... Will try to post more chairs from my appartment and from my friends, they have some funny ones you may like.
OK, this topic is just too irresistible. Great post, Julie !! Can't wait for the other photos. Velvet IS a great material for a chair, no doubt. I like it a lot myself.

My material of choice is: "Unusual Materials", and if it has a recycling aspect to it - all the better -- and this is one of my all-time favorite chairs made from paper :

cabbage chair
Designer: NENDO

Nendo designed the cabbage chair for the XXIst Century Man exhibition curated by fashion designer Issey Miyake to commemorate the first anniversary of 21_21 Design Sight in Roppongi, Tokyo.

"Miyake asked us to make furniture out of the pleated paper that is produced in mass amounts during the process of making pleated fabric, and usually abandoned as an unwanted by-product. Our solution to his challenge transformed a roll of pleated paper into a small chair that appears naturally as you peel away its outside layers, one layer at a time.

Resins added during the original paper production process adds strength and the ability to remember forms, and the pleats themselves give the chair elasticity and a springy resilience, for an overall effect that looks almost rough, but gives the user a soft, comfortable seating experience.

Since the production process is so simple, we thought that eventually, the chair could be shipped as one compact roll for the user to cut open and peel back at home. The chair has no internal structure. It is not finished, and it is assembled without nails or screws. This primitive design responds gently to fabrication and distribution costs and environmental concerns, the kinds of issues that face our 21st century selves. Thus, the cabbage chair fits active, optimistic and forward-moving "21st century people", the kind of people who, to borrow a concept Miyake expressed during a meeting with us, "don't just wear clothes, but shed their skin".

Here are some good images: http://www.dezeen.com/2008/03/06/cabbage-chair-by-nendo/

RSS

Latest Activity

Sam Mitchell posted photos
2 hours ago
Joy Ude posted photos
yesterday
Regina Rose Malone is now friends with Glen Guarino and Leo Genkin
yesterday
Brigitte Martin liked Erika Uzmann's photo
yesterday
Chanda Glendinning is now a member of crafthaus
yesterday
Marsea Banister posted photos
yesterday
Rebecca Skeels commented on Rebecca Skeels's group The Association for Contemporary Jewellery
"Job advert, Theo Fennel: Theo Fennell is hiring! We are looking for a Wholesale Coordinator with two or more years experience to support our busy Head of Wholesale. The role is primarily administrative but will involve the successful candidate in…"
yesterday
Rebecca Skeels commented on Rebecca Skeels's group The Association for Contemporary Jewellery
"Our brand new FREE student event 'Make your Mark' is only one month away! If you're a tutor conducting a jewellery or silverware class, or a student studying one of these courses, this event is for you! The aim for the day is to…"
yesterday
"Junior Jewellery Mounter Apprentice Join a young & dynamic luxury diamond jewellery company with a London West-end based workshop 6,000 Application deadline: April 22nd 2014 Wonderful opportunity to join a young and dynamic luxury diamond…"
yesterday
"The Jewellers and Silversmiths Network (JSN) Message - Beyond Adornment 26 April to 7 June Private view: Fri 25 April, 6-8pm Members of the Jewellers and Silversmiths Network (JSN) have looked at the concept of ‘Message - Beyond…"
yesterday
Niki Grandics liked Bruna Hauert's event RULE THE WORLD, FoC-jewellery and fellowship award 2014
Thursday
John Lunn added a discussion to the group Tapestry of Talents: Bringing Your Whole Voice to Your Craft
Thumbnail

In a state of jazz

Time to shift gears away from science and into music. I play jazz flute and piano and when I read this interview with Branford Marsalis  (sax player who led the Tonight Show band for Jay Leno), it connected with some thoughts I’ve been mulling over about the metal art world. I’ll start with the excerpt and comment at the bottom:“You put on old records and they always sound…See More
Thursday
Sarah Holden added a discussion to the group SNAG
Thumbnail

NEW Perks for Giving Program

SNAG has launched New Perks for Donating!$125 LevelIf you donate at the $125 level you will receive a hand written thank you along with a set of our newest SNAG stickers (or $10.45/mth for 12 months).$250 LevelIf you donate at the $250 level, you will receive a hand written thank you, a set of stickers, and a limited edition hand…See More
Thursday
Anita Mills posted a status
Thursday
Anita Mills posted a status
"New work posted on my Blog! http://anitamills.com/new-from-my-workbench/"
Thursday
Brigitte Martin posted a blog post
Thursday
Brigitte Martin liked Leo Genkin's photo
Thursday
Susan Madacsi liked Brigitte Martin's blog post Scott Hove - Cakeland. Birthdays just got a whole lot better.
Thursday
Brigitte Martin liked Niki Grandics's photo
Thursday
Erika Uzmann posted photos
Thursday

© 2014   Created by Brigitte Martin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service