Tributaries: Call for Submissions
In January 2008, the Metal Museum started a new exhibition series called Tributaries. The name is derived from the Museum’s location along the Mississippi, as well as from the focus of the series - artists whose work is beginning to have a significant impact on the metal arts community. The series began as a way to showcase artists who are doing innovative work in small, solo exhibitions. The Museum quickly realized that the series fills a growing need in the metals community, as well as the larger contemporary arts community.
Featured artists have included Haley Bates, John Rais, Jeff Clancy and David Clemons, Jillian Moore, Michael Dale Bernard, Nathan Dube, Sylvie Rosenthal, Jessica Calderwood, and Susan Myers. For more information on previous Tributaries exhibitions, click here
Overview of Program
Four metalsmiths are featured in a small solo exhibition each year. Exhibitions last six to eight weeks, depending on the overall exhibition schedule. Selected artists will represent a wide range and mixture of metalsmithing, including ferrous and nonferrous metals, hollowware and jewelry, among others. The Metal Museum will pay for the postcard, reception, shipping to and from the Museum and the artists’ expenses to attend the opening reception.
Interested artists should submit the following materials as electronic versions on a CD or by email.
1. A letter of interest not to exceed one page describing the body of work to be exhibited. Proposals for new work or installations should be thoroughly described and supported by drawings or plans included in the requested image set (described below).
2. A resume or biographical sketch, not to exceed 2 pages (please include current contact information).
3. Twenty images of current work in JPG file format. Images should be no smaller than 300 dpi and 1280 X 1048 pixels. The images should be organized on the CD as individual files and named to correspond to the image list requested below. The JPG file names must include your last name, a number and the image title (example: smith01untitled.jpg).
4. Numbered Image List, including title, medium, dimensions of the object depicted and date of making.
Materials should be sent to
374 Metal Museum Drive
Memphis, TN 38106
June 15, 2010
Participating artists are selected by a committee of professional artists, educators and collectors. Current committee members are
• Dana Davis, Davis Steel and Iron and collector
• Robyn Horn, Windgate Foundation, collector and practicing artist
• Richard Prillaman, Professor, Metals, Memphis College of Art and 2006 Master Metalsmith
• Suzanne Ramljak, curator and editor of Metalsmith Magazine
• Richard E Smith, Associate Professor Metalsmithing/Blacksmith, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
The committee meets once each year to select the artists for the upcoming exhibition cycle.
Artists will be notified of selection by email no later than July 30, 2010.
For more information, call Joel at 901-774-6380.