This is the piece that started it all! The origins of Reaction Designs and my love of Steampunk metalwork. This is an entirely hand fabricated personal nuclear reactor! This piece was designed as the endgame for all steampunk technology. As you may know nuclear power is made by creating enormous amounts of heat through fusion or fission which then generates steam and the steam powers turbines to create energy. My thought was: "if only that could be harnessed to power a human being! Are you sick and tired of being sick and tired? Simply strap on Professor Nelson's personal reactor and buzz the day away with the natural zip of portable fission!" I like to point out that I conceived and fabricated this several years before Iron man became the huge phenomenon that is it today.

For every artist Steampunk or not there is a crystallizing moment; when you realize the work that you love to make and how that work stems from that which fascinated you as a child. Whenever I talk to artists in any field I love to hear what those moments were for them. That is the most fascinating part about art for me. How and when the medium or the form turned into and intimate connection with the soul of the creator. During construction I literally feel in love with this piece. I found myself wanting to keep working on it even as my eyes fell shut at the bench from the long hours I was keeping at the University and the nearly full time job I was holding to help me pay for it. I began to wish that it really did work to power me so I could stay in the studio until it was done.

This piece was conceived to quell the frustration I had from growing up as a child of Science Fiction where Nuclear energy not only powers laboratories for super scientists and mad geniuses alike, but radiation gives ordinary people amazing super powers! The reality of Nuclear power is obviously less desirable, with the various disasters that have happened trying to control it and the horrible side effects and death that occurs from actual exposure to radiation. So this piece stemmed from a desire to see more of my fantasy mix with reality. Perhaps someday we will be able to get superpowers but until then, I will continue to make devices that blur the lines of reality!

2 inches in diameter. Composed of Sterling Silver, Brass, and Titanium.

Tags: Brass, LED, Nelson, Pendant, Steampunk, Tim, Titanium, glass, sculpture, steel

Views: 144

Replies to This Discussion

This is excellent! What is inside the vial?

Nothing is inside the vial actually, It is just a glass tube that I frosted to better diffuse the light, Then I  installed an LED inside the silver coupler to give it the distinctive green glow

That's great. Love the fantasy.

It has the potential for a movie (or at least a wonderful dream)...

RSS

A modern metalsmith/metal artist can be found working in traditional metals as well as in nontraditional materials. The designs can range from the classic to the extravagant, and the techniques can either be centuries old or decidedly current.

The wide range of expression preferences, design options, materials, and processes has lead within our field to unfavorable misconceptions, misunderstandings and in some cases even outright disdain between artists. Can the metal and jewelry field overcome its division and send out a much-needed signal?

We appreciate and respect our historical past and acknowledge that current materials have a rightful place in jewelry/object making!

Arriving at this message is the goal of this traveling exhibition opening at the SNAG conference in Boston 2015, Velvet da Vinci, San Francisco, CA - Aug 19 - Sept 20, 2015, Equinox Gallery, San Antonio, TX - Oct 16 - Nov 15, 2015, Baltimore Jewelry Center, Baltimore, MD - Dec 11, 2015 - Jan 08, 2016, Brooklyn Metal Works, Brooklyn, NY - Feb 5 - Mar 4, 2016.

DETAILS on exhibition premise, call for artists, submission guidelines.....

Latest Activity

Stefanis Alexandres liked carolina apolonia's photo
1 hour ago
Stefanis Alexandres liked Satomi Kawai's photo
1 hour ago
Profile IconSUYUAN YANG and Cara Romano joined crafthaus
2 hours ago
Michael Logan Woodle and Erin Cora Turner are now friends
7 hours ago
Profile IconErin Cora Turner and Kelly M Nye joined Brigitte Martin's group
Thumbnail

Co:Operation GARNISH

Can the metal and jewelry field overcome its division and send out a much-needed signal?We appreciate and respect our historical past and acknowledge that current materials have a rightful place in jewelry/object making! Arriving at this message is the goal of this exhibition cooperatively arranged by Rachel Timmins and Brigitte Martin.Please join this group to stay informed !! This is the official exhibition blog.See More
8 hours ago
Erin Cora Turner is now friends with Mo Schreffler and Marsea Banister
8 hours ago
Mo Schreffler liked Erin Cora Turner's photo
8 hours ago
Jivan Astfalck and Grace Page are now friends
11 hours ago
Erin Cora Turner posted photos
11 hours ago
Brigitte Martin posted a blog post

Meredith Woolnough - Embroidery

Embroidery art often seeks to mimic nature, but Australian visual artist Meredith Woolnough has a special technique we’ve never seen before. By using water-soluble fabric, her beautiful embroidery, which is inspired by nature’s most graceful forms, gains a…See More
13 hours ago
Stefanis Alexandres liked Charity Hall's photo
yesterday
Stefanis Alexandres liked Alena Stukavcova Dolezalova's photo
yesterday
Lyndsey Fryman posted photos
yesterday
Brigitte Martin commented on Lyndsey Fryman's status
"Glad you're having a good time ! Thanks for the note. "
yesterday
Lyndsey Fryman posted a status
"Hello to all! I am having way too much fun clicking on all the little nuggets of information packed into this webpage. Thanks Brigitte!"
yesterday
Lyndsey Fryman joined Brigitte Martin's group
Thumbnail

crafthaus online Exhibitions

Online Exhibition project on crafthaus. Exhibitions are member-curated and change monthly. Calls for Artists below!See More
yesterday
Lyndsey Fryman liked Brigitte Martin's group crafthaus online Exhibitions
yesterday
Lyndsey Fryman is now a member of crafthaus
yesterday
Rachel Kassia Shimpock is now friends with Teresa F Faris and Vincent Pontillo
yesterday
Rene Lee Henry joined Brigitte Martin's group
Thumbnail

Co:Operation GARNISH

Can the metal and jewelry field overcome its division and send out a much-needed signal?We appreciate and respect our historical past and acknowledge that current materials have a rightful place in jewelry/object making! Arriving at this message is the goal of this exhibition cooperatively arranged by Rachel Timmins and Brigitte Martin.Please join this group to stay informed !! This is the official exhibition blog.See More
yesterday

© 2014   Created by Brigitte Martin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service