I want to make two small falconry bells in silver as a part of a larger piece that I'm working on and I want them to ring, as real falconry bells do.  I can imagine how these bells could be made:

but have no idea how to make them so that they actually sound, preferably sweetly, if that is not asking too much!

I am thinking that they must be forged in some way as any soldering would anneal the metal and the "chime" would be lost. 

Suggestions and thoughts welcome.

Tags: bell, falcon, falconry, jewellery, jewelry, justified sinner

Views: 326

Replies to This Discussion

People have made lovely sounding bells from bronze metal clay. Have you given any thought to using silver clay and surrounding a burnable core to create a hollow object? You could bury the clapper/ball in the core first, which would leave it free after firing. I've made hollow objects as thin as 2 playing cards, but you might also try painting slip on the core for a thinner bell.  

Lora, thanks for that. I love the idea of using silver clay to do this and might yet, but I am such a complete novice with the stuff that I am not sure I could do it this way. I'm really glad you suggested it as I hadn't even considered using metal clay. Whatever happens, I'll make sure to post pictures!

Two years ago, I made two small bells from 925 silver for a friend's bracelet...she wanted them to chime too. I remember I domed the four component parts and before soldering the two hemispheres I placed two very small round 24k gold beads in each...When I soldered the two halves, the gold beads did not melt and when you moved the little bells around they chimed very sweetly..hope this helps, Dauvit.

Excellent, Sophia. So you obviously had no problems using soldered metal. I was very worried that the soldering would anneal the metal which would take away the chime. I will certainly try to make one now. I'll probably be using a steel bead for the "clapper".

I once made something very simple from Sterling, it was a 5 cm diameter sphere that chimed wonderfully soft, no forging required:

Outer body (2 halves): can be any shape you want, but obviously must have at least one hole somewhere.

Inner body: A lens shaped hollow form that fits into the outer shape. Before soldering the lens halves together, insert a small piece of steel (e.g. dice shaped) into the cavity. After soldering, use your saw to cut lines into the lens surface so that the end product resembles tines of a fork from both sides, the result should look something like this (the black lines representing your saw cuts into the metal):

This lens shaped unit with the piece of steel inside of it is then soldered into the inside of your outer form and the two halves of your outer form are then soldered together. That's it. When you shake your form, the steel on the inside of the lens will bang against the tines producing the sound. It is not like a small bell, more like a soft chime.

Even though soldering was involved, there was no problem with the Sterling getting too soft in the process for this thing to chime.

Others will probably have better ideas, but this one worked for me. I'm curious to see what comes of this project!

Excellent! I hadn't thought on using a supplementary piece to make the chime. I was just thinking to use the wall of the bell sound. This is a great solution, thanks.

When I can't solder I weld.

Thanks, Regina. I know what you mean. Unfortunately, I only have access to a PUK welder and that is not really strong enough for my purposes as these bells will be finials, hanging below another element and will have to swing about and probably suffer from being bumped.

Just found this link, which gives some tantalising hints... we'll see if I can work it out from that and the group suggestions.

OK! I made a bell which looks like these and which rings. I've posted instructions HERE in case anyone else ever needs to make one.

RSS

Latest Activity

Suzanne Golden left a comment for Leo Genkin
"HI Leo....Nice to meet you in the "neighborhood."  Thank you for your compliment on my work.  I see that you are a Master MetalSmith!  Is any of your work posted??? "
26 minutes ago
Suzanne Golden and Leo Genkin are now friends
28 minutes ago
Brigitte Martin liked Kay Adams's photo
1 hour ago
Beth Williams and Judy H Morgan are now friends
1 hour ago
Vincent Pontillo posted a photo

s(h)elf

necklaceebony, maple, mink, leather, sterling silver33x18x10cm2014In this work I attempt to speak about family connections and learned traits, while questioning the modes and methods in which boys learn how to become men. By referencing and…
2 hours ago
Jaime Sawka liked Li-Chu Wu's photo
4 hours ago
Jim Binnion and Katie Saunders are now friends
4 hours ago
Peters Valley School of Craft posted a blog post

Join Simon Levin at Peters Valley School of Craft

Exposed Clay: Making Work for the Anagama on July 25-28 & Firing the Peters Valley Anagama on July 29-August 5, unloading August 10. Wood firing has truth ~ The process can be used to reveal & evoke information. In this workshop you will be playing, experimenting, testing & learning about raw materials in form and…See More
6 hours ago
Mindy Recht left a comment for Leo Genkin
"Brigitte should have said totally irreverent!  Welcome - I don't spend enough time here, but it's great. Mindy"
8 hours ago
Checha Sokolovic shared Carrie Garrott's photo on Facebook
14 hours ago
Checha Sokolovic liked Carrie Garrott's photo
14 hours ago
14 hours ago
14 hours ago
14 hours ago
14 hours ago
14 hours ago
Tom Supensky left a comment for Elizabeth Chapman
"Hey Elizabeth...thanks...also, my other son, Mark Redfield, is often involved in work that crosses over to what you do.  He can be reached at 410-409-9495.  Cheers, Tom"
18 hours ago
Tom Supensky and Elizabeth Chapman are now friends
19 hours ago
Brigitte Martin left a comment for Leo Genkin
"Thank you, Leo. Glad to have you on board!! We like to keep it fun and informative here - in equal measures - there's enough tough stuff around, we like it friendly and just slightly irreverent :-) you'll feel right at home."
19 hours ago
Leo Genkin left a comment for Brigitte Martin
"Brigitte, Thank you for adding me to your wonderful blog. Lots of interesting pieces and people or should i say people and pieces :)"
20 hours ago

© 2014   Created by Brigitte Martin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service