Any tips for removing investment residues post-casting?

I have just cast a large torus form which is hollow and has only small openings. The whole piece is full of investment, of course. I've tried using the ultrasonic but that hasn't done much. Normally the ultrasonic, a heated pickle and the sandblaster are what I use, but the sandlbaster won't get into the small openings on the piece and the other two methods have been fruitless.

Views: 73

Replies to This Discussion

What about tumbling in water only? Or hot water and a toothpick? Sounds like a hellish job.

That sounds like the one I was thinking of! It might just be that.

Power hose??? Maybe hold underwater and use your air compressor to blast it out?? When you figure it out let us know:))-ann

Actually, that sounds like a good idea. I wonder where I could get a pressure-washer.

I had a sculpture professor who had students take castings to the car wash to blast off investment...maybe this could work if the piece isn't too small overall.

I think it is too small for that! Thanks for the suggestion.

Worst-case scenario you could use an investment remover in an ultrasonic and a syringe. And last resort, each time you bring the investment to temp it loses more and more of its strength.

I am very curious as to what winds up working for you.-Sean

We use a water jet blaster. and if we can't we use warm water soak overnight, then poke it a bit to make sure the silt comes out.

Excellent. I will try the soaking as my piece is too small to take to the car wash!

Our jet wash is especially for plaster! It works just like a grit blaster, but with water. If you have no luck with the soaking and you're this way let us know. If not maybe a local casters will let you have a go on theirs!

You could try Gypsof, I have used it my self and it really works.  Mix up a solution and let your piece soak in it.  Pehaps you could combine it with the use of the ultrasonic?  Zero D is very friendly, and could answer any questions you may have about its use.

http://zerodproducts.com/Akrovest_Gypsof.html

Fantastic, thanks. I will need to find a UK supplier of this.

RSS

Latest Activity

James Thurman liked The Justified Sinner's blog post Wish You A Merry...
yesterday
The Justified Sinner posted a status
"Even if you don't read my blog post, do read this article about Christmas tat made in China - http://makeworks.co.uk/articles/china"
yesterday
The Justified Sinner posted a blog post

Wish You A Merry...

The last few weeks have been busy but ultimately I've not really achieved very much. The photograph above just about sums up my current attitude to Christmas and the plasti-tat landfill festival it has come to represent, not much aided by reading this important if miserable report by the wonderful people at MakeWorks: …See More
yesterday
Rebecca Skeels commented on Rebecca Skeels's group The Association for Contemporary Jewellery
"Hi, Just wanted to pass on that we have a vacancy working in the production office at my company David Morris. The job is based at the head office on Bond Street and will involve production administration for overseas and in-house makers. It also…"
yesterday
Masako Onodera posted photos
Tuesday
Rebecca Skeels commented on Rebecca Skeels's group The Association for Contemporary Jewellery
"How To Anodize Reactive Metals: Coloring Niobium and Titanium http://www.riogrande.com/Content/Anodizing-Reactive-Metals-VID-psd?Pos=1&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=howto Follow along with Bill Seeley, founder of…"
Monday
"Crafts Council announces the 39 new makers selected for Hothouse 2015 The Crafts Council has selected 39 makers to take part in the six-month Hothouse programme which is delivered in partnership across four regions in the UK.   Hothouse has…"
Monday
Jill Gribble is now a member of crafthaus
Monday

© 2014   Created by Brigitte Martin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service