PARTICIPATORY SPORT FOR CRAFT ARTISTS
ART JEWELRY TODAY 3
Submission Deadline is
August 1, 2010
This book is scheduled for the Spring/Summer 2011 Schiffer catalog
For each artist participating, we need:
1. Information about the artist and the artwork. For artwork that is part of an installation, a brief history of the project will be needed. A brief description (250 words or less) of your techniques and creative process for each item is needed. One purpose of the book is to allow the artists to tell their own stories about their artwork. An artist’s statement will also be required. Brief interesting anecdotes related to various pieces and installations are also welcome here. We would like to receive text submissions as Microsoft Word documents. A resume will be useful for the judging.
2. Four to ten examples of your work, captured in any of the following formats: slides; digital imagery, requiring an image with 400 dpi JPG in Adobe RGB color mode at a 4” x 6” size in the raw or fine data format; transparencies; or glossy 4” x 6” or larger photographs. All materials need to be properly identified for return once the project is complete. These need to be high quality images, images you would be proud to enter into any juried art show … considering they will be in print for some time to come throughout the United States and abroad. We ask that the images you send be of artwork that has not appeared in another publication. Materials accepted for the book remain safely with the publishing house until the book is finished and are then returned to the contributors, approximately 6 months after receipt of the final contribution, if the contributor has requested that they be returned.
3. Caption: For each image sent include the artist’s name, title of art (if applicable), identification of object form, media, technique, measurement, date, courtesy line as needed (i.e. both contributor’s and photographer’s credit). We would like to receive text submissions as Microsoft Word documents.
4. Release form: Please sign the attached release form, signifying that you are the owner of the copyright for the imagery you have sent us. If you need to have your photographer sign the release as she or he is the copyright holder of the images, please ask the photographer to add your name to the release form along with his or her own so we know which artist the photographer, and the release form, belong with.
5. Please remember to provide a return address so your materials may be returned, and identify each image with your name.
6. Complete the Contact Information Sheet that is provided. Include any galleries or museums that showcase your work.
To recap, please, make sure your submission packet to us includes:
Send all your materials at one time. Send to:
Schiffer Publishing Ltd,
4880 Lower Valley Road
Atglen, PA 19310
PHOTOGRAPHY RELEASE FORM
Per our lawyers, the following form provides certainty that you own the images and are allowing Schiffer Publishing, Ltd. to use them for this book project (and only for this book project). Please sign this agreement and return it with your submission form and images.
To: SCHIFFER PUBLISHING
4880 Lower Valley Road
Atglen, PA 19310
Attn: Karen Choppa
1. I am the sole copyright owner of the photograph(s) and grant permission for their inclusion in the book known as _____________________________________________ (the “Book”) which is being published by Schiffer Publishing (“Schiffer”). I acknowledge that no payment is required for this use.
2. I hereby grant permission to Schiffer to publish the Photograph(s) in any and all editions of the Book. Schiffer will take reasonable efforts to ensure that credit accompanies use of the Photograph(s).
3. I also grant to Schiffer and its agents the right to use reproductions for promotion and advertising of the Book and for sales materials in connection with the promotion and advertising of the Book.
4. I warrant and represent that I have obtained any and all permissions, authorizations, licenses and/or releases pertaining to the Photographs, such that I have the full right, power, and authority to enter into this agreement and grant the rights herein provided.
Signature of Owner or Agent Date
Printed Name of Owner or Agent
If above is not the artist whose work is represented in the photography, please, print the artist’s name below:
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the thrust of the book?
We are presenting the broad scope of work currently being done in this field. We want to represent all of the different forms, materials, and techniques being used in this dynamic field today. We are looking for images of work done within this last decade from each artist that has not appeared in a previous publication so readers may see what is happening now in the field. We want readers to become familiar with current, professional artists working in this field, artists readers may want to follow in years to come and artists whose work readers may want to invest in.
What sort of work should I submit?
Since this book seeks to show the range of work currently being undertaken in this field, we would like to see images that reflect the range of work you are creating today. This is your opportunity to put your best foot forward with a broad reading public. Choose the pieces that you feel best reflect the full scope of the work you create in this dynamic field.
In what format should I submit my work?
Please, see the Submission Form. For imagery, high end digital is the preferred choice, but other forms as described are acceptable.
May I email my materials?
Email makes it too easy for files to be lost or misplaced and too difficult to organize when it comes time to review all the submissions.
Is it okay for me to send this call for artists to a friend of mine who is also an artist in this field? Or to my guild, association, etc.?
Yes, please do. All we ask is that you send folks the complete submission form and release form so they know exactly what we are asking for.
Will I be notified if my work is accepted?
We will contact everyone who submits work to let them know whether or not their work will appear in the book.
How will I be notified that the book is out?
The Marketing Department at Schiffer Publishing will let you know when the book is available. Remember to keep us notified of any changes to your contact information should you move. Email any changes to your contact information to email@example.com.
Will I get a complimentary copy, if my work appears in the book?
In order to help keep the publishing house’s overhead low and avoid charging artists a submission fee, as some publishers do, Schiffer Publishing does not provide complimentary copies of our books to contributing artists. However, a discount of 40% on any participating artist’s first book order is provided in appreciation of each artist’s participation.