PARTICIPATORY SPORT FOR CRAFT ARTISTS
Reports to: Executive Director
Description of the Museum and Its Mission: The Metal Museum is the only museum of its kind in the country dedicated to the advancement of the art and craft of fine metalwork. The Museum engages the metals community and the surrounding region through exhibitions, collections of fine metalwork, educational programs and publications featuring artists of national and international importance to the field. The permanent collection and exhibition program reflect a wide range and mixture of metalsmithing, including ferrous and nonferrous metals, hollowware, jewelry and architectural elements. With its unique focus on artwork and fine crafts made in metal, the Metal Museum helps initiate and promote dialogue and understanding of the field and its relevance in our modern culture.
Purpose of the Position: Further the mission of the Metal Museum through the presentation of fine metalwork and related educational programming
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
· Propose, organize and develop exhibitions of fine metalwork and serve as project leader for design, installation and de-installation of exhibitions
· Develop and submit annual exhibition budget for approval
· Develop at least one exhibition per year to travel to other institutions
· Research and write scholarly and popular materials concerning the fine metalwork collections and exhibitions
· Engage the regional community and aspiring and established metalsmiths through educational and outreach events associated with exhibitions (receptions, lectures, gallery talks) developed in consultation with the Memphis/Outreach Manager.
· Educate visitors through the design and production of exhibition didactics (labels, handouts, wall texts) and embedded opportunities for engagement, including videos, inter-active displays and hands-on activities
· Research and integrate best practices from other institutions
· Develop materials for and oversee tours and other educational programming.
· Develop and maintain the exhibition calendar, including installation schedule
· Make the logistical arrangements necessary for a successful exhibition, including the travel and comfort of visiting artists, guest lecturers and dignitaries
· Organize and maintain exhibition files
· Organize and oversee the maintenance of exhibition furniture and ensure cleanliness and appearance of exhibitions by maintaining glass, galleries and lighting
· Collaborate with a team led by the executive director to develop long-range plans for the Museum, in particular as related to collections and exhibitions
· Cultivate relationships with collectors and donors on behalf of the Museum
· Assist Executive Director and other staff with writing grants for the exhibition program
· Share with the Collections Manager/Registrar oversight of the work of the Curatorial/ Collections Assistant
· Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to greeting guests, monitoring cleanliness of the buildings, assisting with events and other reasonable requests made by the Executive Director
An MA or PHD in art history or related material culture field
Minimum 5 years experience in a museum preferred with a strong commitment to scholarship with evidence of publications and exhibition development in the field of fine metalwork.
Qualities of the Ideal Candidate
· Has an in-depth understanding of the metalsmithing field, including ferrous and nonferrous metals
· Understands and respects the history of metalwork and the Museum’s role in that community.
· Interested in researching traditional and contemporary metalworking techniques, trends and makers
· Actively involved in the metals field
· Enjoys networking with other individuals in the field to identify new and established talent
· Skills/Abilities: Proficient in Microsoft Office
· Able to take initiative and anticipate actions that are needed
· Ability to multi-task and conceptualize steps involved in implementing programs
· Ability to communicate professionally both in written form and verbally Enjoys working with others on a team while working toward a common goal
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Detail oriented with strong organization skills
· Observant and willing to lend a hand wherever needed
To Apply: Please email or mail resume, letter of interest and three references to Carissa Hussong, Metal Museum, 374 Metal Museum Drive, Memphis, TN 38106, email@example.com.