In September of this year the touring Bodywork exhibition, or to give it its…
PARTICIPATORY SPORT FOR CRAFT ARTISTS
Executive Director of the Worcester Center for Crafts
Category: Administrative and Professional
Department: Worcester Center for Crafts
Locations: Worcester, MA
Posted: Jun 27, '12
E-mail to a friend
About Worcester State University:
Worcester State University is a public institution of higher learning set on 58 acres in the residential west side of Worcester, Massachusetts. We are dedicated to preparing students for personal success, rewarding careers, and effective citizenship in the 21st century. We offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs in the traditional liberal arts and sciences, teacher education, biomedical sciences, business, and the health professions. The Princeton Review has selected WSU as a “Best Northeastern University” for the 8th consecutive year.
Provide the vision and skills to develop and articulate the programs that fulfill the mission of the Worcester Center for Crafts. Provide leadership for the faculty, staff and students who realize that mission. Advocate the Craft Center to higher education administration and numerous public and private entities. Develop and implement fundraising efforts to support the Center's programs. Coordinate the operation of the academic program with representatives from Worcester State University and the Worcester Consortium, and collaborate on academic recruitment. Oversee and assess development of workshop, exhibition and sales galleries, and overall marketing of Craft Center programs. Oversee planning, budgeting, assessment, and reporting for all Craft Center programs. The Executive Director serves as the Chief operating officer of the Worcester Center for Crafts. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and to the Associate Vice President for Continuing Education and Outreach of Worcester State University and is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission and objectives.
Strategy and Planning
In partnership with board and staff:
1. Develop an implementation plan for the annual operation of the Center
2. Assure that the Center has a long range strategy that furthers its mission
3. Develop a strategy and implementation plan to increase community program attendance, including youth programming
4. Develop a strategy and implementation plan to develop continuing education programs in conjunction with Worcester State University
5. Develop a strategy and implementation plan for facility maintenance and upgrades
6. In partnership with the Office of Institutional Advancement at Worcester State University
7. Develop a comprehensive annual fundraising plan
8. Meeting with donors: corporate, private business, individual, and foundation
9. Develop the Center’s Capital Campaign and work closely with Board members and Office of Institutional Advancement to clarify financial targets and a plan for reaching them
10. In partnership with the Office of Institutional Advancement at Worcester State University
11. Develop marketing strategies to promote the Center’s community based education programs and gallery shows and activities.
12. Develop marketing strategies to promote Continuing Education programs in Conjunction with Worcester State University.
Outreach and Advocacy
13. Represent the Worcester Center for Crafts in the regional non-profit community
14. Advocate for the Worcester Center for Crafts in the University Community
15. Partnership with WCC studio heads, faculty, and All- studio Committee
16. Plan and implement a schedule of adult classes and workshops
17. Plan and implement a schedule of youth classes and workshops
18. In partnership with board and staff:
19. Analyze financial information, make fiscally sound decisions, and ensure that the Center operates within budget guidelines
20. Provide the Board with accurate, concise financial information and present options and recommendation to support sound financial decision making.
21. Work with staff, finance committee, and the Board to make recommendations regarding the annual budget
22. Recommend ways to improve board effectiveness within the context of the alliance with Worcester State University
23. Serve as a resource to the board and the tri boards of Worcester State University to enhance overall understanding of the mission, program and effectiveness of all Center Activities
24. In partnership with the personnel department at Worcester State University
25. Effectively recruit and manage all personnel, including paid staff, contractors, consultants
26. Ensure accurate job descriptions are developed, that performance evaluations are held least annually, and that Worcester State University Human Resource practices are in place
27. Ensure communication with and services for faculty and students of Worcester State University
28. Encourage staff development and education, and assist staff in applying their specialized knowledge to the operating plan.
29. See that an effective management team, with appropriate provision for succession is in place.
A master's degree in arts administration or a graduate degree in an appropriate visual arts field, and a minimum of two years cumulative professional experience programming and/or managing and/or marketing visual arts programs at established public or private organizations
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Leadership experience in an organization providing visual arts programs
Experience developing and promoting craft programs
Demonstrated expertise in historical and contemporary studio craft movements
Experience managing active studio programs
Experience with public and/or community arts programs
Experience with strategic planning and program development
Experience with current use of technology and web‐enhanced marketing
Ability to effectively supervise personnel, resolves personnel issues, and conduct performance evaluations.
Experience with budget planning and management
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and to the Associate Vice President for Continuing Education and Outreach of Worcester State University and is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission and objectives.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Craft Center Staff
Worcester State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. M/F/D/V. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
All applicants will apply online through Interview Exchange. Required documents for submission include a cover letter, CV, (3) three letters of reference, signed by hand and dated within six months of the posting date, and an official (non-student-issued) transcript of highest degree. Those documents which cannot be uploaded to one's e-account may be sent to the following email address: email@example.com, faxed to 508-929-8163 or to the mailing address: Director of Human Resources, Worcester State University, 486 Chandler Street, Worcester, MA 01602-2597