Job Description – Collections Manager/Registrar
Reports to: Executive Director
Hours: Tuesday – Saturday, 9:30 am – 5:00 pm. Additional hours may be required during exhibit change and events.
Responsible for the safekeeping and handling of the Metal Museum’s collections (including the of Permanent and Research Study collections and the library collection of books, periodicals, photographs, drawings and folios), as well as art objects individually on loan or on loan as part of a temporary or traveling exhibition.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Responsible for updating and maintaining all records pertaining to museum collections: computerized files, hard copy files, photographic/slide files, manual card catalogue system and location files. This includes organizing and maintaining the library collection, including books, periodicals, papers, photos, catalogs and slides, recommending and overseeing the repair of items in the collections and developing and implementing a system to organize, digitize and catalog images in the library collection.
- Responsible for all documentation pertaining to museum collections: Incoming/Outgoing Receipt forms, Loan Agreement forms, Deed of Gift forms, Permission for Reproduction forms, general correspondence, condition reports and location reports.
- Responsible for documentation pertaining to proposed gifts, bequests, museum purchases and de-accessions.
- Responsible for initiating paperwork involving loan requests from other museums and forwarding to Exhibitions Coordinator.
- Responsible for coordinating arrangements for temporary exhibitions, traveling exhibitions and incoming/outgoing loans: transportation, insurance, packing/crating, and import/export customs brokers.
- Responsible for coordinating and supervising photography of museum collections and temporary loan objects for catalogues, museum photographic files.
- Responsible for dealing with insurance company regarding museum collections and temporary art objects: certificates of insurance, damage claims, and photo documentation.
- Supervises and assists in packing/unpacking of all art objects: either part of temporary exhibitions, incoming/outgoing loans, and/or gifts and purchases.
- Responsible for updating Facilities Report, Collections Policy and other related documents.
- Works with the Exhibitions Coordinator in the input of information and the production of computerized labels, both in-house and traveling exhibitions.
- Responsible for the preparation and exhibition of possible acquisitions.
- Responsible for setting meetings and taking minutes for the Collections Committee.
- Assists with organizing future traveling exhibitions.
- Assists in the production of exhibition and permanent collection brochures, catalogues, and the museum newsletter.
- Acts as courier for art objects on loan locally, nationally, and internationally.
- Train appropriate museum staff on the proper handling, packing and conditioning of artwork.
- Other Responsibilities include, but are not limited to greeting guests and acting as a docent/guard for the galleries, monitoring general cleanliness of the buildings, conducting tours as necessary, assisting with events (openings, fundraisers, etc.) and performing other essential duties as assigned.
- Inform Executive Director of issues or progress.
- Respond to change productively and perform other essential duties as assigned.
Education: Masters degree, with a major in museum studies, fine arts or art history preferred.
Experience: Minimum 5 years experience in a museum preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, PastPerfect and Resource Mate
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely
- Detail oriented
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work alone and as part of a larger team
For More Information
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest and resume. For more information or to submit an application, please contact
374 Metal Museum Drive
Memphis, TN 38106