I've uploaded some new images of my work for your viewing pleasure. I would love feedback so let me know what you think.

Specifically I am really interested in what people think of the hair piece as I am looking into both the burden and beauty of long hair on women.

As a woman or man:
What is your perception of long hair on women? Do you prefer it? As a woman do you feel your long hair is a security blanket, or do you feel you would lose your femininity if you cut it off? Do you have any stories about cutting your own hair or having it cut? Does the necklace give you a creepy feeling? If it does why do you think that is? Do you consider hair to be repulsive once it is off the body, or is it as beautiful off the body as when it is on the body?

Any insights are welcome on my hair necklace or other pieces.

Thank you for your time, enjoy!

Rickson

Views: 1157

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is so interesting. Did you mind that people were shocked to find you were female? I think that goes to show that we men and women do not look so different but we excentuate gender differences and invent them sometimes with clothing and style.

Did people you did know react different from people who didn't know you? I find that often happens to me. People really close like boyfriends or family will be very honest I guess, and often be more negative where as aquantenses and strangers will be more complementary. I think people we know are used to seeing us a certain way so there is that factor.

Thanks for your story, very interesting. :) You are so brave to shave your head, I would one day like to try...but I probably won't. haha

Rickson
Most of the time I didn't mind.. it provided a bit of amusement, but there was one situation where it became a bit ridiculous. My boyfriend had to tell an older man that I was a girl, and he called his buddies over to see if they could " guess what I was". Most of the time I dress a fair bit like a tom boy, if I had dressed in a more feminine way or worn makeup with bright red lip stick I don't think the question of my gender would have come up nearly as much. But I think its really interesting what happens when you change an element in your assigned gender role.

There was a bit of a mixture, depending on the background of how I knew someone. My friends from home vs. the friends I was in school with, who were much more supportive and open minded about it. I did get compliments from acquaintances, but in general the way that strangers interacted with me changed, I don't know if people really knew how to take it, the elephant in the room. haha.
If you ever do shave your head, my suggestion is to ride a bike directly afterwards, it will tickle your scalp.
hehehe, I am amused by the bike suggestion, I would have never planned that!

Yes it is very interesting how easily people are shook up by change. It always amazes me how stubbornly people cling to roles, or styles that they don't even understand. They just say aspects of women or men like they are facts, and not stereotypes, generalized ideas or social norms. It's fun to play with the norms I think, shake things up a bit. :)

Rickson
As I started reading the comments, I became more and more compelled to add one of my own. Isn't is strange how differently hair affects us? I wear mine long, past my bra strap, but only just. As far back as I can remember I've had long hair - I used to be able to sit on it which was a favourite request of the kids at school.

My hair is so important to me - perhaps too important but long hair is just part of who I am. Reading this has made me realise how much I rely on it. It is my favourite fashion accessory because I don't have to take it off. It is my partner in crime for seduction, my ally in appearing every inch the young successful professional, my shield for deflecting unwanted attention and my excuse for avoiding unpleasant social gatherings! I am far more afraid of the hair salon than the doctor or the dentist - the doc or dentist have a finite influence over your discomfort but, thanks to a bad hair cut you can feel terrible about yourself for weeks.

I'm not sure that I view women with short hair as less feminine - I might say that I find long hair sexy whereas short is cute and quirky. I certainly don't find men with long hair effeminate - in fact I lusted after a long-haried lothario for some time a few years back and believe me, he was all man! As far as body hair is concerned, I loathe stubbly or hairy legs and armpits. Now that does make me feel less than feminine. As for, shall we say, 'other places' which can be attended to in such a manner, ironically I think they should be left well alone. Trimming and sculpting is acceptable but I shudder at the idea of re-creating pre-pubescence as a way of being more attractive to the opposite sex.

Regarding your necklace - I think it's wonderful but i must admit, I'm not keen on the thought of wearing it. I think a large part of that has to do with the environs one normally associates with cut or shed hair - the salon floor, a hotel bathroom, mussing up a favourite outfit (if you've ever lived with dogs and like to wear dark colours!) or on the lapel of your beloved's blazer. It's something I have become accustomed to disposing of so I find it quite jarring to see it being used in this way. I am curious to know how it feels though, it must be an interesting tactile experience.

Thank you for raising such an interesting topic for dicussion - it has certainly made me think about things differently. I must invest in a deep conditioning treatment for my hair as a thank you....
Oh I love the way you talk about your hair. Especially your paragraph on how it is your favourite fashion assessory. I realized that is the main crux of my hair pieces because I would rather wear my hair purely as a piece of jewellery than as a body part. And your insight on the different between the dentist or doctor and the hair dresser is wonderful!

I also like your thoughts about long hair and femininity. I agree, longer hair is perhaps more sexy and alluring and some say holds power over men, or people, but short hair is still feminine just in a different way. My boyfriend and I sort of switched during this year, his hair is longer than mine now and I find it really sexy and attractive. I agree with the 'other places' as well, though I support all experimentation, haha. My friend tried crafting shapes and symbols once but I believe it was unsuccessful. :)

Yes the necklace is a bit scratchy. But at the same time it is sort of warm and really natural feeling. Sort of like a wool sweater, it can be slightly uncomfortable, but makes you feel close to the earth or like you are wrapped in an animal or something alive, not synthetic at all.

I am definetly interested in the dichotemy of hair, and how you mentioned that once it is off the body it is discarded and seen as waste. I always thought it was funny that my boyfriend loved my long hair, but hated it being all over the house, on our pillow, or clothing like you mentioned. It frustrated me, and I felt guilty for shedding all over haha. but I guess it happens to everyone.

Yes invest in that conditioner! Thanks for your insight, very inlightening!

Rickson
I read the comment about the hair and I can relate to the woman whose son was fixated on her hair. My youngest also had that kind of reaction when he was little and still at a weight that allowed carrying around. He used to take the end of my hair and touch it to his fingertips. So, I grew it really long, to the middle of my back, to avoid the pulling. He outgrew it but still does that same thing with his own hair while reading. Interesting kid!

I always had short hair too. My mother just didn't want to deal with it. So, when I was a teenager, I started growing it and found it easier to deal with as well. Short hair takes more care.

As a statement of femininity, I would agree that western society does view long hair on women as a feminine thing. I love long hair on men too, but I think people look at long hair on men as a throw back to hippies or rock and roll and don't take those men as seriously in the workplace. Women have the luxury of long or short in the work environment without scrutiny. However, they have other prejudices to deal with, hair just isn't one of them.
Hmmm, very interesting comments. I have noticed many people's hair style relates to how their mothers or fathers insisted they style their hair when they were children. I have a distinct memory of my mother telling me her grandmother used to take her and her 2 sisters to get their hair permed every year and she hated it. So many of us do the opposite of what we had to do as children.

I agree with the hippie and rock and roll conotations for men having long hair. My boyfriend has pointed out to me when I complain about the amount of control women are expected to have over their body hair that men have similar prejudices towards facial and head hair. He can't go to work with stubble or a beard because it is seen as unkempt and dido for unstyled or long hair not in a ponytail. I even went to a seminar on hair and most people think a man with a beard has something to hide! So interesting. But I still think the pressure for women to shave their legs, and armpits is enacting control over the entire body, whereas men just have to control their facial and head hair. I notice that in general women's entire bodies are geared towards with decorations, clothing, creams and products, to make social statements to the world and prepare the body to be looked at, whereas men cover their bodies generally in less decoratoin and just clothing, and concentrate on their heads more to attract attention. But I am digressing a bit and possibly entering dangerous territory, but that's why these discussions are so much fun!

Thanks for your comments, very enlightening.

Rickson
Your hair chain is fabulous!!

Short would be the short answer to your question, while the long version follows:

What is your perception of long hair on women?
I use to think that long hair give women somehow an old look, I've always enjoyed short and more modern look, but on the other hand I've always envied people who had the patience to grow their hair long and maintain them as so.

Do you prefer it?
all in all no, I wish I could see my self with long hair for once...but it takes for ever to grow mine and I think I'd anyway look like a Madonna (not the singer). But definitively I love to play around with wigs!

As a woman do you feel your long hair is a security blanket, or do you feel you would lose your femininity if you cut it off?
Now for almost a decade I have my hair cut in a classical bob cut, which is probably a security blancket. But before that (when I was younger) I use to have my hair very short and not once I felt less feminine...sure there was time when I needed more make up to point out I was a woman but I didn't mind that at all...there were also time when people would think I was a boy, but I didn't mind that too it was their problem and sometime it made me feel more secure to walk alone!
Now for a strange mix of reason I'm stuck with my hair style, but my bob goes very often very short (especially if I'm in Italy close to my beloved hairdresser!).

Do you have any stories about cutting your own hair or having it cut?
Oh yes many...one for all ,when I was 25 I cut them very very short (I wish I had a photo, but it got lost in my last moving!), and I dyed them blond (I've very dark hair and I went from black to suicide blond). You can't imagine the reaction I experienced! My parents wouldn't talk to me for the all time I got this style, and more than one person tried to take out what they thought it was a wig...Ah! it was very funny for me to see other people reaction!!!

Does the necklace give you a creepy feeling? f it does why do you think that is?
No...no, not at all, probably I would prefer it to be with my hair but not because I mind some else hair on me (well maybe a bit), but mostly becasue it would be an extra way to show off part of myself (well if it wasn't clear already, my hair are one of the few things I really like of my self!!)

Ah and one last remark...which it may not have anything to do with this discussion, but I have always found very funny and somehow weird that in English the word hair is for both hair on the head so to speak and on the body, while in Italian we have two different words (capello the first and pelo the second), and I will never get use to this here!

I hope they can help you in your creative process and understanding, looking forward to seeing more of your art!!
Thank you! Such wonderful perspectives and stories! Your last comment does help and intrigue me a great deal! I have already found that I enjoy and have interest in the use of words in different languages because each language communicates aspects of it's culture. It was part of my research to investigate why hair on the body is only 'allowed' in certain places...and is different for each gender, and according to my research every culture has different expectations of hair for each gender. SO the fact that in Italian there are two different words for hair on the body and hair on the head makes perfect senses. I love it!

Similarly I found out that in Taiwan there is no word for 'he' or 'she' there is just 'they'. So people are not gendered automatically, you would have to say 'they are a girl/boy'. So intriguing. (And to my knowledge, I probably don't fully understand it. :)

Yes I can understand your parents not talking to you after such a drastic change! I died my hair all different colours once and then my friend cut it, and gave up half way so it was long at the front and short at the back (kind of like 'Posh Spice' but done poorly). haha, and my boyfriend's face was quite upsetting, and I am pretty sure my parents thought something was wrong with me. And I was a teenager so there probably was. Haha. But I just like the idea that people shouldn't be scared to play with their hair. It's one of the only parts on the body you can change knowing it will grow back.

Thanks for your input it is very helpful and interesting. :)
Haha, it is amazing how much we do for others based on our appearance, and I think this goes for both genders (I used to think it was off balance). During my research I realized there are just as many restrictions and expectations put on men to control their bodies appearance, especially their body and facial hair, as there is on women to control their body and head hair.

I hadn't realized how much work and effort is put into facial hair, and felt jealous that men didn't have to shave their legs, or underarms. But of course it's always a choice. I like your compromise. I hope my boyfriend likes my hair short becuase I LOVE it. But I do notice romantic movies with girls who have long flowing hair make both of us a bit weak at the knees. Haha. I really do love the look of long hair. But on me, I love short. :)

Thanks for your in put. I really appreciate it.

Rickson
Interesting topic! My hair is about 3 feet long and down past my backside. When I was a kid in the '60s and '70s I was very influenced by the style of women I knew with long hair and kept mind past my waist. In my late teens and early 20s I began getting obsessed with having it be curly, so I began perming it and eventually coloring it. My hair grows so fast that I needed the roots touched up about every 3 weeks, which was annoying, but the more the chemical damage, the shorter it got until it was only a couple of inches past my shoulders.

One day I had an epiphany. I realized that my hair was straight and brown, and that I'd just accept it (and me) the way it was. Once I did that, it quickly grew past my waist, and I have since referred to it as the symbol of my self acceptance. LIke most women of my generation, I didn't hit 40 and buy into the myth that shorter hair automatically makes women look younger. I only have to spend a little time dealing with my bangs. The rest of it is just back there.

Strangely though, I get the sense that long hair isn't politically correct anymore. Many times complete strangers (always women) have come up and literally badger me to donate my hair. Usually they are either women, who've donated theirs or hair stylists, who want me to chop it off and then become their client. While donating hair is fine, it's a personal choice, and I'm always angered by the people, who harass me about it. I usually ask if they've signed on to be organ donors, and if they refuse to consider that might be more important, I'm tempted to ask if they still have both kidneys and cornea and if so why they haven't considered donating one.

Peoples' reactions and responses to my hair sometimes reminds me of when I was pregnant, as if my business and part of my body were in the public domain, up for grabs, so to speak, as people feel compelled to make comments and ask questions they might not if I very long hair were more common. Of course, I never mind the comments people make about my jewelry (unless they ask why it's so expensive!). That's my work not just who I am.
That's a relief. I really hope the 'poodle' cut disappears for 'elderly women' as it seems eerily similar to putting on a uniform. I was never privy to the idea that short hair makes women look younger, but once someone did mention they thought I was a boy with a 'baby face' and then I thought it might make me look younger. But those comments aren't really indicative of how I look because someone else thought my grandmother was my mother, so either she looks really young, or I look really old, or people don't know what they are talking about! haha.

I also heard an interesting comment while I was in the UK that the idea that women should have long hair and men short was more of an American ideal then European. And after that I realized that far more women had short hair in Europe than in America (I live in Canada, but many of our social ways are close to identical.) But I think for young women, (25 and younger), short hair is very in, because since I've been back in Canada (Toronto) I've seen many versions of myself walking around with my hair cut! Sort of bohemian artist types and I realized yet again, I am a norm in my own 'group'. Sigh, no individuality for the modern woman who feels the current of her surroundings…along with everyone else. Haha.

RSS

Latest Activity

Aleksandra Vali posted a status
"2023 Fortezza da Basso, Florence, Italy"
Sep 19, 2023
Aleksandra Vali and Letitia Pintilie are now friends
Sep 19, 2023
Catherine Marche liked Rebecca Skeels's discussion streamlining our pages
Feb 3, 2021
Jonathan Leo Brown posted a status
"An art deco inspired ocean liner container with multiple containers."
Nov 9, 2020