There is a tipping point in every collaboration event - when the mood changes from the playful “maybe” and “how about” to the realisation that there isn’t much time left.

“We have to get these pieces done in time for photography and the auction”:

Is there enough time for the glue/paint to dry, 

How can we do this that we didn’t really think through in our playfulness, 

How on earth are we going to mount this object ...That furniture maker could make us a base ... Or maybe the metal guys can help us.? 

And for those of us working in the medium of wood, sanding always sanding ....

I’m so tired, but I know I can get this finished...

I am putting finish on the jelly fish lamp legs, Dan is sanding the gourd edge and waxing it, and Miriam and I are attaching the legs and wiring the lamp - we decide to use 5 of the 6 legs I laminated and mount 2 at a different length so the lamp can “walk”. 

Kelly and I approached the metal workers regarding the “monster” and they have made some lovely copper “prosthetic” horns. Kelly has glued in the teeth. I had suggested that we mount the monsters head on a high dynamic stand, but after discussion Kelly and Leah use a piece of branch wood to make a multilegged base. Its a good call - and we go back to the metalworkers for one prosthetic leg. I spend a few hours shaping the monsters neck with a rasp and spokeshave...

And I make a base for a sculpture... its a lovely sculpture made from some more of the interesting metal pieces that came from the amusement park ride manufacturer.

Views: 197

Replies to This Discussion

Hilarious! I feel like I am right there with you...

RSS

Latest Activity

Aleksandra Vali posted a status
"2023 Fortezza da Basso, Florence, Italy"
Sep 19, 2023
Aleksandra Vali and Letitia Pintilie are now friends
Sep 19, 2023
Catherine Marche liked Rebecca Skeels's discussion streamlining our pages
Feb 3, 2021
Jonathan Leo Brown posted a status
"An art deco inspired ocean liner container with multiple containers."
Nov 9, 2020