Laser Cutting 101: Day 2, Michelle visits Phil Renato at Kendall College

I made shapes and lots of 'em in 22 min and 2 seconds!

Today was a great day! I spent the morning with Phil learning about Adobe Illustrator and how to prep my designs for the LASER cutter. Since this is a short visit, we decided to focus on small designs that would be great for earrings or simple pendants. First, I learned how to use some of the basic Illustrator tools to create an image from scratch. This was my first experience with Illustrator so it took me a while to grasp the steps, but once I had the hang of it things went pretty quickly. Then Phil showed me how to take a scanned sketch and prep it for cutting. We ran a few sample pieces to see if anything would need adjusted before cutting a large batch. It was so exciting to see the LASER cutter in action. By adjusting the speed and power or the LASER I was able to incorporate some etched patterns into my designs. In 22 min and 2 seconds I had over 30 shapes.

My large batch of designs (the solid black shapes are etched and the skinny lines are cut all the way through

22 minutes and 2 seconds for 30+ etched and cut shapes

Tags: and, art, CAD/CAM, college, cutting, design, etching, illustrator, kendall, LASER
My parts after etching and cutting

More soon, stay tuned......

Click here to follow Michelle's blog as she charters new territory, and leave...

Views: 49

Replies to This Discussion

How Fun! Thanks so much for sharing the process. Look forward to reading more!

RSS

Latest Activity

Aleksandra Vali posted a status
"2023 Fortezza da Basso, Florence, Italy"
Sep 19, 2023
Aleksandra Vali and Letitia Pintilie are now friends
Sep 19, 2023
Catherine Marche liked Rebecca Skeels's discussion streamlining our pages
Feb 3, 2021
Jonathan Leo Brown posted a status
"An art deco inspired ocean liner container with multiple containers."
Nov 9, 2020