Laser Cutting 101: Michelle Pajak-Reynold takes a class with Phil Renato (Crafthaus Blog)

My studio, Fall 2008

LASER Cutting 101 Weekend with Phil Renato

In a little while I'll be on the road headed to Kendall College of Art and Design in Grand Rapids, MI to work with Phil Renato and learn more about LASER Cutting. Over the next few days, I'll be blogging about my experience.

I've never used a computer to design work. Resizing and cropping an image in Photoshop is pretty much the extent of my design software skills. However, I'm interested in LASER cutting for multiple reasons.

1. Is it the right tool for me?: Every tool and process has its limits and ideal scenario application. I need to learn more about designing work for LASER cutting before making a final decision on whether or not to incorporate it into my arsenal of techniques. Also, there has been much debate about the pros and cons of CAD/CAM and Rapid Manufacturing processes.
(see: https://crafthaus.ning.com/forum/topics/computerized-craft-arts?comm...) As someone who is not very tech savvy, I find myself feeling intimidated by the steep learning curve of mastering new software and excited to explore the unknown.

2. Health and Safety: My studio is in my home and for the past year and a half I've been using plexiglas in my designs for my Drawing Series: Morning Meditation pieces. I've hand cut and finished everything. Cutting and finishing plexi generates a substantial amount of fine acrylic dust. I wear a heavy duty respirator but the fine particulates often become airborne and a health hazard. My pets love to be in my studio and I love having them "come to work" with me. I want to continue working with plexiglas and other plastics but I do not want to expose my husband and my "furry children" to health hazards. Using a LASER Cutter would eliminate this health risk.

One of my studio buddies: Sutter the Super 3 legged Pit Bull with his favorite stick

3. Time: Work Smarter, Not Harder and Time = $. I can significantly reduce the amount of time it takes me to create a piece and reduce the amount of saw blades I use. By using a LASER Cutter I can create more intricate pieces in a fraction of the time it would take me to cut everything by hand. Also, by reducing my labor time I can price my work at a more accessible price point and expand my market.

More soon, stay tuned......
Michelle

Click here to follow Michelle's blog as she charters new territory, and leave...

Views: 77

Replies to This Discussion

looking forward to read more of your experience Michelle, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun!!!
We will watch your progress closely, and thank you in advance for sharing what you learn. Using these tools to efficiently produce well crafted designs is a no-brainer in our estimation. For the designers and artists who are concerned with actually selling their work, understanding how to utilize these new tools is critical. We are exploring water jet cutting at the moment. We'll compare notes.
Always love hearing about new ways of doing things. Thanks for this discussion as this is something I'd love to hear about.
Great! I will be watching! Can I share with my production jewelry class?
Thank you for starting this Michelle, I look forward to hearing about your discoveries.

RSS

Latest Activity

Aleksandra Vali posted a status
"2023 Fortezza da Basso, Florence, Italy"
Sep 19, 2023
Aleksandra Vali and Letitia Pintilie are now friends
Sep 19, 2023
Catherine Marche liked Rebecca Skeels's discussion streamlining our pages
Feb 3, 2021
Jonathan Leo Brown posted a status
"An art deco inspired ocean liner container with multiple containers."
Nov 9, 2020