Interdisciplinary. Community. Advocacy. Humor.
I am the curator of a wonderful exhibition on "hidden" or Invisible Disabilities, to be held in Atlanta, Georgia in April 2015, at Mason Murer Gallery. It is sponsored by VSA, the arts for disabilities in Atlanta. Artists so far are from Canada, the U.S. and South Africa. This is going to be an amazing opportunity for artists to showcase work about physical and mental challenges they face, and that most people do not think about!
1) The art work MUST in some way be visually informed by your disability. Doesn't have to be literal, but some personal connection must be made.
2) This disability cannot be visible, it must be something that you have faced for many years, and yet you have made a positive life in spite of it. Other artists in the show are partially deaf, diabetic, face bulimia/depression, epilepsy, and many more "hidden" challenges.
3) I would LOVE to have conceptual installation that occupied the floor, but it would also be great to have an amazing piece of art jewelry, clay work, I am open. What I do NOT need is painting, drawing, or other 2D....but if you think you have something amazing, I would LOVE to see it and who knows....I might change my mind! However, there is at this time limited wall space. I am looking for work that will inspire, incite dialogue, challenge and inform the viewers. I am NOT looking for anything traditional.
4) You will be responsible for all shipping to and fro the exhibition and insurance that covers your work while it is in transit and in the exhibition.
5) IF you would like to come to Atlanta for the exhibition, all costs incurred to do so are at your expense. We would LOVE to have you! There will be outreach, artist talks, panels, etc. We will do our best to help you out with places to stay, etc.
6) If your work is time-consuming and difficult to hang or set up, it would be great if you could come and do the installation so it shows the way you would like it to....but if not, we will do our best to make it work!
Please contact me!
You need to be a member of crafthaus to add comments!